At least it worked with my class today. I told them that I wasn't going to do a lot of talking today. So instead of talking during our transition times I wrote on the board what to do. An example of this is:
"When I say go, take out your crayons and send one team member up to get your poster."
They are all glued to the white board wondering and guessing at what I am writing. Then I ever so slowly write the word "Go" and they move and go. It also worked for lining up. I wrote "Please line up quietly." And one by one they noticed and stopped their work and lined up quietly! There was some talking and some stragglers so I started my usual countdown but not out loud, by writing it on the board. It worked 5 times faster than when I say it out loud.
I also tried writing "Give Me 5" on the board (our quieting procedure from Wong's marvelous book) and then went with my hand raised over by our table team points board. They soon noticed I was waiting to see which table would follow the directions the fastest and stopped faster than I've ever seen them stop and I didn't say one word.
We also had several laughs during it when one girl raised her hand to ask a question and wrote, "Yes, Rachel?" on the board and then my response to the question she asked as well. Then another girl had a question and asked "Why are you writing on the board and not talking?!" I wrote, "Because you pay MUCH more attention this way." They all laughed and said it was true.
So they day ended with everyone happy and laughing after a day of continual engagement and marvelous "listening"/watching skills (and positive peer pressure) all around. :)
I think I'll try not saying a lot tomorrow too. haha...
No comments:
Post a Comment