Monday, December 12, 2011

Reading in 3rd Grade

One day after school, I noticed that one of my students had left our bear in the reading corner like this and I couldn't resist taking its picture: 


Speaking of our reading corner, we have read several great read-aloud books this year!

We started with "Trumpet of the Swan." My students LOVED it so much.

We then moved into the Chronicles of Narnia with "The Magician's Nephew" first and we just finished "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." They loved these as well, especially since they could each find a copy of the books to follow along with. We had some really great discussions about C.S. Lewis' parallels between the characters in the books and Christ and us. I got really excited about one of them one day (I think it was the Stone Table splitting in two part) and one of my students just smiled and said, "You're funny." I smiled back and said, "But it is so neat!" He agreed with me as did the rest of my class.

Today we started "The Best Christmas Pagent Ever" - my kids and I were laughing so hard during it! Such a fun book.

What books do you read to your third grade classes?

2 comments:

  1. Oh how cute!

    I LOVED Trumpet of the Swan when I was a kid! And great choice on Narnia. :) My first graders were always thrilled when they realized the library had multiple copies of Little House on the Prairie when I would read those at rest time. (I think we continually kept all of the copies checked out lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year I've tried to read aloud books from the various genres. It is nice for the whole class to have books to refer back to when deciding on genres for individual reads. Some books we've read aloud this year include: Clementine (realistic fiction - great 3rd grade read), Shedderman (realistic fiction - great 3rd grade read), Twenty and Ten (historical fiction), My Cousin the Alien (science fiction), Family Under the Bridge (realistic fiction - great holiday read).

    Blackboard and Beyond

    ReplyDelete