I don't recall if I have mentioned our previous Guest Speakers on the blog or not, but I have discovered I love to invite guest speakers to my classroom! More specifically, I love using the school faculty/staff as guest speakers!
I've been using guest speakers as an added little something to our reading units.
For the first guest speaker, I asked our Reading Specialist to come in. She is an avid bird watcher and has such a great wealth of knowledge on birds in our area. This played nicely in to our unit on "City Wildlife."
Our second guest speaker was the Business Manager of the school. He came in for our unit on "Money" to discuss the money/business side of a school.
Our third and most recent guest speaker was our Librarian. She came in for our unit on "Storytelling." She gave the students a brief overview of the history of story telling (written and oral), told a story of her own, and then had the kids finish a story she began for them. It was a great time!
Our next reading unit is actually reading the book "Little Pilgrim's Progress." I might ask our Curriculum Director to speak on this topic from his experience as a missionary which would tie nicely in to the overall theme of Pilgrim's Progress. What I would also love to do is find someone with a full set of knight's armor to show the students what that looks like! That might be an overly ambitious task for my first year as I have yet to meet any knights, perhaps by next year I might run into one. ;-)
I'm sure the kids loved having guest speakers! That's a great idea.
ReplyDelete