I've been making my way through Harry Wong's book "The First Days of School". It has come highly recommended to me and I know several teachers who follow his advice with great results produced in their classroom. On top of that, my dad is the principal of a K3-12 school and has all his new teachers read it. So I thought it just had to be good! And sure enough it is great! I highly recommend it!
My college education program was wonderful but they did not have a class designated to classroom management (they are now adding that class into the education program as of next year...haha...a little late for me!). We did watch Wong's videos but the book contains some great details! From what I have read in the book I have been inspired to follow his advice and write out all my classroom procedures.
So this weekend I have been thinking about what procedures I have seen and read about that work and what I want to implement in my classroom. I have then been working on typing them up to put in a cute binder I found.
Have any of you read Wong's book? Do you use his procedures in your class? What are some procedures that work really well for your class?

I went back to college a second time to become a teacher and Wong's book was one they introduced to us. It is like the "teaching bible". It is the best and I am constantly referring to it, and this will be my 5th year. If I can stress only one thing it would be....if you don't have classroom management, you have NOTHING. I have seen it year after year in other class rooms. Wong is wonderful!!!!
ReplyDelete4th Grade Frolics
I read Wong's book during graduate school and I plan on reading it again in August. It is amazing! It offers so many great Ideas. I think there is a youtube video with a conference he did and that was great to. I like his ideas about welcoming students and bell work. I originally wanted to have all my desks facing forward like Wong suggests but my classroom isn't big enough for that.
ReplyDeleteWong has some great ideas and I was lucky enough to hear him speak at a conference. You are right - classroom management is a very important piece of teaching. Stop and reteach if a routine isn't going smoothly. Something else to look at is The First Six Weeks of School. When I started teaching, the school provided me with a bunch of responsive teaching books...I love them!! They have great suggestions on classroom management. With using this approach I've only had to pull out a discipline system (green, yellow, red, etc) when necessary - normally at the end of the year.
ReplyDeleteMegan
Blackboard and Beyond
I have pulled this book out, year after year! The best things this book taught me was to make up prodecure handouts for students!
ReplyDeleteThe first day we talked about how to enter and exit the room. We made a chart together, the whole class signed it, and it stayed in the room all year! I have taught procedures for everything you can imagine: morning routines, end of the day agendas, lineing up for lunch. what to do when a test is over, how to get my attention during reader's workshop!
I've read it many times. He is right-first day procedures are essential. I feel funny sometimes when I'm teaching things like how to wash your hand, but it makes life so much easier later in the year.
ReplyDelete